Yesterday I had my first full supervisory meeting for my research. Below is a brief summary of the meeting as well as an outline of my next steps.
1. Getting acquainted
As the first time we had all met, we took some time to introduce our backgrounds and interests. Lots of experience from both academia and professional practice in design research among the group.
2. DESMA Practicalities
- Complete individual study plan by mid-December (set milestones: 25%, 50%, 75% seminars)
- DESMA courses make up 45 of 60 credit hours of coursework
- Design Faculty courses count for credit as well (three upcoming Spring 2013 courses)
- Check course offerings at Södertörn University (doctoral course listing)
3. Topic Discussion
- Questions regarding the use of “fuzzy front end” and the phrase “problem solving” Squiggle diagram suggests a linear process, has no apparent y-axis. (I have a thought on this, that I will post about in an upcoming reflection, just for fun)
- Clarify and be deliberate in usage of terms. Make sure they get at the core of my research. Visualization or Externalization; Problem solving or Opportunity identification / Inquiry; Organizational behavior or individual interaction.
- Visualization is an embodied experience. Visualizing is an act of externalizing whether it is through sketching, arranging stickies, comparing images.(is it appropriate to say that the externalizations mediate the collaborative experience of a group?)
- “Organization” and “organizational behavior” are huge areas. Define what I mean when I refer to an organization and what about organizations am I interested in? Before using the organizations, get familiar with what they are.
- Classrooms are homogenous, closed settings. Do not have the same level of complexity as an organization.
- Most importantly, what’s my research question? What interests are driving my research?
4. Additional Notes
- Establish a way to log my work in projects (my role, observations, conversations, etc)
- Get involved in projects early
- Schedule time for reflection
- Set up Zotero
- Pick citation format
5. Next Steps
1. Research question and description to supervisors by November 12 (keep it clear, concise, and focused)
2. Individual study plan